June 17, 2014

6/16/14- MTC Week 2

Dear Family and Friends,

First, I want to make a shout out to my dad, HAPPY FATHER’S DAY DADDY!!!!!!! You are literally the best dad on the planet! On Father’s Day they kept showing videos of children with their dads! I don't know why they would do that to us. It made me miss you even more! Also, happy birthday to my mom. She is the best mom in the whole wide world and is my best friend. And HB to Chase for being a pretty cool brother! 

This week was all over the place so I am just going to go through each day! On Monday it was P-day! It was really weird having time to myself! Class started that night started at 5:15 pm and we talked about how important it is to teach investigators and not lessons!  As missionaries we need to get to know the investigators and teach according to their needs. I like a quote that says, "they don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care.”  We can’t shove information down their throats. We have to start with love. Monday night was the fist night I’ve cried because I miss home! I prayed and prayed for comfort then my mom's voice popped into my head, "When you are missing home serve and do something for someone else!” I took a deep breath and started thinking about Pii Txg and what I could do to help him understand the gospel better! It is crazy how when you "lose yourself" in service to people and the work you are happier and feel better!

On Tuesday, it was harder to wake up but we did it like usual! For gym we did splits and Sister Nethercott (she is in my cousin Makenzie’s home ward) and I went to the field and played botchi ball! After that we started right into study time in our classroom. In personal study and comp study we talked about Nephi 7:11-13 and D&C 68:6. This is all about the atonement and how we are not alone. We thought it was the perfect thing to introduce to Txg!  He started asking about Jesus Christ and we knew exactly what scriptures to show him.  It was amazing! When the lesson was over and we were about to leave he looked at me and said, "khon phuud dii!" which means you speak well! It made me so happy because I felt like I was just spitting out words and I didn't make sense but apparently it did! My Khuu (companion) and I had a good khuu inventory. I love her so much but are we are very different--100% opposites! We learned that we have to talk things out to have the spirit with us and avoid contention. The people in my district amaze me each day. Their stories and faith to come out and serve on their missions especially in difficult situations is so amazing. I am so blessed to have such a close and fun district. They are always making me laugh! Elder Cook came and spoke to us. He talked about how missionaries are to invite investigators to gain testimonies of the Lord and not to gain testimonies of the missionaries. It was amazing! 

On Wednesday, it was just like every other day at the MTC. We taught Txg a lesson it was really good! I am getting worried about the grammar of Thai! I feel like I am speaking like a little kid because they don't use filler words and the sentence structure is really weird! I feel like the Lord humbles me everyday! One second I will be so confident and feel like I totally understand the language, then the next second I feel like I suck at the language and that it is so hard! Ether 12:27 - if we are humble he will make weak things become strong unto us! At the end of the day we just did lots of study and talking with the district!!!! We are so close and love each other so much! 

On Thursday, it was A LOT harder! Wednesday evening I started to get sick. My nose was congested, sore throat, headache, really bad stomach ache, etc. I was tossing and turning all night and woke up with a fever and stomach and cold symptoms. I went to class because I didn't want to be stuck in my room all day. In class I couldn't really focus. I am so grateful for my district for showing me so much love.  

On Friday, it was so weird because our investigator, Txg, came into our class and is now our TEACHER! His name is Brother Thrap and he says things WAY different than Sister Hershi said them. We felt like we starting back at day 1. We learned a lot about our new investigator (who happens to be Sister Hershi, so we were all dying because we love her so much and it is going to be weird teaching her). I am super excited to teach though! I love teaching! It helps me so much with Thai and gospel.

On Saturday, I still felt sick but wanted to learn Thai so much that I just sucked it up and went to class! We had two--3 hour Thai classes as usual. We love our teachers so much! They are both such generous and wonderful people.  They feel like parents.  I hope to be like them someday.  We had 4 and a half hours of personal/language/companion and additional study time! We studied self worth because that is what our investigator is struggling with! We laughed a lot today…as usual! My khuu and I were “talking” Thai so much and so loud that I started losing my voice!  

On Sunday I woke up with my voice completely gone! My Khuu had to talk for me! I was dying because I had so much to say and I couldn’t say it! Sister Sheri Dew came and spoke for the devotional.  She spoke about grace it was so amazing! We watched the movie "Legacy" and all the missionaries were dying of laughter because it was so cheesy! We said goodbye to the Hong Kong sisters because they were leaving the next day! It was so sad! This next week all the mission presidents are coming to the MTC to get trained so lots of general authorities are coming and maybe even the prophet! We are all super pumped!  

Well, I still love the MTC even though I was sick half the week! The spirit is always so amazing and strong here.  Everyone here is so nice and loving! I am growing closer to my Heavenly Father each day! Keep it real! LOVE YOU ALL!
(Our district hashtags) #teamthaithighs #talkthaitome #teamohana #teamnonap, teamnotalkduringpersonalstudytime ... HAHAHHAHA oh, how I love my district!

- Sister Herrmann

Friday Night in our room!
My District
Some of the girls that are leaving to Hong Kong

No comments:

Post a Comment