November 18, 2014

11/17/14 - Thai People are the BEST!

This week was full of little miracles! When we started the week we had 0 investigators!! BUT by the end of the week we had 5 new investigators and some with dates to get baptized!! It made me think of the scripture in Alma 37, "by small and simple things are great things brought to pass." This week we didn't do anything super amazing but we did the small little things such as being completely obedient, focusing on our purpose, working hard, praying hard, etc., and because we did that the miracles came!!

This week for p-day we went to this beautiful waterfall! Waterfalls in Thailand are so much better than in Utah! It was so fun but I was dying a little inside because I couldn't play in the water! BUT I was sweating SO much that it looked like I went swimming, haha! We went with a family who has an 18 year old girl in our ward and a bunch of her friends. It was so much fun!!!

We have this new investigator who is very interesting. His name is Nuie and we met him while we were eating at a restaurant. We invited him to church and he showed up!! When we taught him the first time he seemed really good and wanted to get baptized and repent...but the second time he came to the lesson completely drunk. It is so hard trying to teach a drunk person!! At the end of the lesson we were teaching the law of chastity. He was flipping though the pamphlet and stops at a page with a boy and a girl just talking and says (in a drunk sounding voice), "these two... they are in LOVE and can't do anything right now, but when they get married ...they will be too scared to do anything!!” Then he just busts up laughing for 5 minutes! It was really weird and funny but we didn't know what to do so we just ended it! We are working with him and trying to help him! We have this other crazy guy who goes to every activity. When we first met him he told us that he was Jesus and Heavenly Father and the Holy Ghost...so we can't really teach him!!

On Wednesday we decided to “invite” at the college! It was so much fun and reminded me of my college days! There were so many people and most of our recent converts go to that college so it was good to see where they all lived! Talking about RC's, I am so proud of all my recent converts! They are literally amazing!!! Gig and Boo got the gift of the Holy Ghost this week and are just so happy! They come to every activity and love learning with us!! It was so cute, we gave them a framed picture of their baptism and they started to cry!! They always call and say, "Guess what?! I am in 1st Nephi 7 and learned this and this and this!" They are just so wonderful!! Our other RCs are great as well--very active and loving being members of this church! A large number of them want to go on missions!

On Saturday my dream of being an Asian farmer came true! I got to work in the rice fields and harvest rice!! It was a blast and SO HOT!!! We had to use these sharp tools and Elder Mitchell totally sliced his finger open! It was actually really hard work! It reminded me of the scripture in D&C 4, "For behold the field is white already to harvest; and lo, he that thrusteth in his sickle with his might, the same layeth up in storethat he perisheth not, but bringeth salvation to his soul."
We got this new investigator named Ping. She is from China and speaks English! We taught her in English and it was so cool to speak in my native language!! It was funny though, because I would be talking and Thai words would just pop out of my mouth because I am so used to teaching in Thai! She really wants to get baptized but she says she can't because she has to go back to China and says it is against the law. We are going to work with her and try to figure something out! She is so cute!

I just love these Thai people so much! They are so warm and friendly! I have been here so long that they all know me so as I am riding my bike I am constantly waving to people! They are so willing to help me and just show so much love! For example, someone at the store saw my bug bites and she ran over to me and said, “I have some medicine that would help!” I told her I didn't have money but she gave it to me for free. That type of thing happens all the time! I just love them so much!

Brother Somsak became the NEW branch president!! I am so happy for him! He will do such a great job! My comp and I were assigned to start working on Personal Progress with the Young Women. To start they had us talk about when we did ours and I enjoyed remembering all the fun things I did with Mom. We really emphasize doing it with your mom! It is just hard because a lot of them are the only members of their family. Guess what!!?!? Our whole zone got “balanced”! We have a goal of having 2000 people baptized for the year of 2014 and right now we are at 1700!! YAY!

Well I am off for another great week!! I love the mission! I have so much fun everyday! I am so lucky to be in the Bangkok Thailand mission calling people to repentance!!

- Sister Herrmann

PS Tell grandma and grandpa I love them so much! Also please pray for my investigators and for me that I don’t get homesick

No comments:

Post a Comment